Sports Spread Betting: FAQ[ 14.09.16 ]
About spread betting
The bookmaker makes a betting prediction based on a number of important factors. The bettor then decides whether the prediction is over- or underassessed. Sometimes, you can see that a bookmaker’s prediction comes in a form of a range. This range is called a “spread.” The bettor can bet that the outcome will be less than the first value (Sell bet) or more than the second value (Buy bet) of the range. It’s like someone is asking you to guess their age. In this case, you may say “Somewhere between 35 and 38 years.” Spread betting works exactly the same. If you had to make a prediction, you would bet that the person is younger than 35 (Sell betting) or older than 38 years (Buy betting).
Winning and losing in sports spread betting
In sports spread betting, the amount of money you may win or lose depends on whether you made a correct prediction or not. For example, a bookmaker predicts the time of the first goal in Chelsea – Manchester United match. Suppose, the bookie predicts that the goal will be scored on the 36th minute. Then the spread will look like 35-37.
Bettor 1 thinks that the score will be opened before the 35th minute (LOW/Sell), while Bettor 2 expects the first goal to be scored after the 37th minute (HIGH/Buy). If either team scores the first goal on the 25th minute, Bettor 1 will win and make 10 times their original bet (35th minute – 25th minute = 10 minutes). At the same time, Bettor 2 will lose 12 times their initial bet 12 (25th minute – 37th minute = -12 minutes).
Spread betting: risky deal?
If you’re placing small bets, sports spread betting may become your opportunity to lock in pretty good profits. The more accurate your prediction, the more money you will make. But the opposite is also true. If your prediction is far from correct, this may result in a severe blow for your bankroll. The amount of profit or loss is defined as the difference between the actual outcome and your prediction multiplied by the your bet amount. In fast-changing markets (such as cricket runs market), your possible losses and profits may change lightning-fast.
This spread betting peculiarity calls for careful and weighted decision-making. Below we have listed four basic recommendations every bettor should follow to succeed in sports spread betting.
- Identify the worst possible scenario for your bet and take it into account when placing your spread bet. Moreover, find out the maximum profits you may get in case your bet wins.
- If possible, watch the sports event you placed your bet on. Be prepared to close your losing bet if things go south.
- Identify highly volatile and unstable sports betting markets. These may include markets where the final outcome and the predictions may differ heavily (such as cricket).
- Remember that you risk losing much more than the size of your original bet.
On some betting websites, you can open an account with a Stop Loss feature (i.e. automated loss control). You can set any stop loss limit you want. But make sure to read Stop Loss rules. Stop Loss feature may limit your profits as well. Furthermore, it may limit the size of your bet if it’s too risky for your bankroll or even cancel your bet.
- Sports Betting. Juventus vs AC Milan [10.03.17] : the tradition to beat Rossoneri in Turin
- Betting. Lyon vs Roma [09.03.17] : a goal-rich game
- Sports Betting. Napoli vs Real Madrid [07.03.17] : Partenopei to win but Blancos to qualify
- Betting. Lazio vs Roma [01.03.17] : the fierce Derby della Capitale
- Sports Betting. Leicester City vs Liverpool [27.02.17] : Reds to slay half dead Foxes
- Betting. Roma vs Villarreal [23.02.17] : the sunken submarine
- Betting sites: to trust or not to trust?
- How to pick the best betting sites?
- Sports betting sites: pros and cons
- How to Pick Best Betting Sites
- The 50th Super Bowl made history as an immensely expensive show followed by social unrest
- Super Bowl bets 2018 - 2021
- Super Bowl bets 2017
- Super Bowl 2016. Leading contenders
- NFL Super Bowl 2016. Where and when will Super Bowl 2016 take place?
- Another amazing NBA betting strategy
- Basketball betting strategy based on lineup changes
- NBA betting: Betting on favorite winning a quarter
- Even-Odd live basketball betting strategy
- Basketball betting: Odd/even score
- NBA Betting. Oscar’s Grind strategy in basketball betting
- NBA betting. How to earn on NBA arbitrage betting
- NBA Betting. How and where to place profitable basketball bets
- NBA betting. What makes NBA betting different from other basketball bets
- NBA Betting Strategies
- Yellow card football betting
- Football Betting. Live corners betting
- Corners football betting. Strategy and useful tips
- Football betting. How to make money on soccer bet
- Tips To Win At Football Betting
- Sports gambling: psychological aspect
- Basic things all online sports gambling fans should know
- Things Sports Gambling Fans Should Know
- What sets golf betting apart from other betting types
- Golf Betting. Top popular tournaments for successful golf betting
- Guide to golf betting
- Types of Golf Betting
- Spread betting. Spread betting types in tennis
- Sports spread betting. Spread betting types in football
- Sports Spread Betting: FAQ
- Types of spread betting
- Common mistakes by live betting lovers
- What makes live betting different from other online sports betting types
- Live Betting. How to succeed in live betting and minimize your losses
- What makes live betting special
- Live betting 101: Introduction
- Zero handicap and negative handicap in tennis betting
- Tennis player’s physical shape as a tennis betting strategy
- Tennis betting: long-term and combination
- Tennis betting strategies: double betting and game betting
- Tennis Betting Strategy
- Comparing the Strategies of Poker and Sports Betting
- Martingale sports betting strategy: pitfalls
- Sports betting strategies that preserve your bankroll. Money management strategies
- Sports betting strategy. How to use Kelly Criterion as a sports betting strategy
- Sports betting strategy. Martingale and D’Alembert financial strategies
- Flat Sports Betting Strategy Is Not Rocket Science
- NHL betting. How to make accurate NHL betting predictions
- Types of hockey bet
- About NHL betting and NHL betting strategies
- How does the betting insurance work?
- How many bookmakers to pick to make money on sports betting?
- How to start winning at sports betting
- Sports Betting. Basic betting terms
- Successful Sports Betting: Practical Tips
- What do I do if my bookmaker refuses to pay out my winnings?
- Online Bookmakers. How a bookmaker works
- Where to place safe sports bets. How to pick a reliable bookmaker
- How Bookmaker Works
- NFL betting. Where and how to succeed in NFL sports betting
- Beginner’s guide to NFL betting
- NFL betting: predictions and bets
- What makes NFL betting different
- Top popular horse betting types
- Horse betting: rules and strategies
- Horse betting: types and specifics
- Horse Racing Betting Strategies
- Arbitrage betting: best sports betting strategy
- Arbitrage Betting Strategy - your bets will be successful