The 50th Super Bowl made history as an immensely expensive show followed by social unrest[ ]
Super Bowl – the grand finale of the National Football League (NFL) – took place on February 8, 2016 at Levi’s Stadium in Santa Clara, California. In 2016, the greatest event in the American sport celebrated its golden anniversary. Just as always, the 50th Super Bowl featured sky-high expenses, mind-blowing commercial rates, and even disturbances in Denver where the police had to use tear gas to dissipate the crowd.
The American dream
For an average American, Super Bowl can be compared to a sacred ritual. Sport fans starts to get ready for the next Super Bowl the next day after the previous one. A most curious thing is that most fans have no interest in the match per se. They are attracted by the unique atmosphere of the grand event. Organizers spend millions of dollars to make Super Bowl an unforgettable show to see both live and on TV. It needs to be said that each year heavy investments and efforts pay off completely.
Over the last couple of years, every new Super Bowl breaks the records of its predecessor. The latest 50th Super Bowl was no exception. The Big Game was played at Levi’s Stadium located in Santa Clara, California. According to the National Retail Federation, the Americans spent the record-breaking 15.5 billion dollars during the match.
According to unofficial sources, the broadcast of the game was watched by 189 million viewers. This is 5 million more than the last year when 183.7 million people tuned in to enjoy the extravaganza. Average expenses per person amounted to $82.19 vs. $77.88 for the last year’s event.
Around 43.3 million Americans threw a party, while a whopping 70 million people preferred to pay a visit to their friends and family to watch the Big Game together. About 8.6 million respondents were going to buy a new TV especially for the game.
Top ratings give TV networks the right to charge mind-blowing rates for commercials during the broadcast. For about 80% of Super Bowl viewers, TV ads as an integral part of the Super Bowl. Dozens of high-profile companies and brands are fighting for the right to show their most memorable and touching commercials to the excited audience. This year, CBS charged 5 million dollars for a 30-second commercial. Last year this number was 500,000 dollars less.
Scalpers too have earned huge profits. Right before the game, they were pushing 500-1,000-dollar tickets for 8,000-10,000 dollars. On the official Super Bowl website, VIP tickets retailed for about 13,000 dollars. Some go-getters even managed to sell tickets at three-four times the original price.
Super Bowl is not just a sports event but also a spectacular pop festival with performances by the best entertainers, delicious food, and drinks. According to data from the National Chicken Council, the Americans consumed 1.3 billion chicken wing portions while watching the grand finale.
- Sports Betting. Juventus vs AC Milan [10.03.17] : the tradition to beat Rossoneri in Turin
- Betting. Lyon vs Roma [09.03.17] : a goal-rich game
- Sports Betting. Napoli vs Real Madrid [07.03.17] : Partenopei to win but Blancos to qualify
- Betting. Lazio vs Roma [01.03.17] : the fierce Derby della Capitale
- Sports Betting. Leicester City vs Liverpool [27.02.17] : Reds to slay half dead Foxes
- Betting. Roma vs Villarreal [23.02.17] : the sunken submarine
- Betting sites: to trust or not to trust?
- How to pick the best betting sites?
- Sports betting sites: pros and cons
- How to Pick Best Betting Sites
- The 50th Super Bowl made history as an immensely expensive show followed by social unrest
- Super Bowl bets 2018 - 2021
- Super Bowl bets 2017
- Super Bowl 2016. Leading contenders
- NFL Super Bowl 2016. Where and when will Super Bowl 2016 take place?
- Another amazing NBA betting strategy
- Basketball betting strategy based on lineup changes
- NBA betting: Betting on favorite winning a quarter
- Even-Odd live basketball betting strategy
- Basketball betting: Odd/even score
- NBA Betting. Oscar’s Grind strategy in basketball betting
- NBA betting. How to earn on NBA arbitrage betting
- NBA Betting. How and where to place profitable basketball bets
- NBA betting. What makes NBA betting different from other basketball bets
- NBA Betting Strategies
- Yellow card football betting
- Football Betting. Live corners betting
- Corners football betting. Strategy and useful tips
- Football betting. How to make money on soccer bet
- Tips To Win At Football Betting
- Things to Bear In Mind When Sports Betting
- Sports gambling: psychological aspect
- Basic things all online sports gambling fans should know
- Things Sports Gambling Fans Should Know
- What sets golf betting apart from other betting types
- Golf Betting. Top popular tournaments for successful golf betting
- Guide to golf betting
- Types of Golf Betting
- Spread betting. Spread betting types in tennis
- Sports spread betting. Spread betting types in football
- Sports Spread Betting: FAQ
- Types of spread betting
- Common mistakes by live betting lovers
- What makes live betting different from other online sports betting types
- Live Betting. How to succeed in live betting and minimize your losses
- What makes live betting special
- Live betting 101: Introduction
- Zero handicap and negative handicap in tennis betting
- Tennis player’s physical shape as a tennis betting strategy
- Tennis betting: long-term and combination
- Tennis betting strategies: double betting and game betting
- Tennis Betting Strategy
- Comparing the Strategies of Poker and Sports Betting
- Martingale sports betting strategy: pitfalls
- Sports betting strategies that preserve your bankroll. Money management strategies
- Sports betting strategy. How to use Kelly Criterion as a sports betting strategy
- Sports betting strategy. Martingale and D’Alembert financial strategies
- Flat Sports Betting Strategy Is Not Rocket Science
- NHL betting. How to make accurate NHL betting predictions
- Types of hockey bet
- About NHL betting and NHL betting strategies
- Gambling for real money
- How does the betting insurance work?
- How many bookmakers to pick to make money on sports betting?
- How to start winning at sports betting
- Sports Betting. Basic betting terms
- Successful Sports Betting: Practical Tips
- What do I do if my bookmaker refuses to pay out my winnings?
- Online Bookmakers. How a bookmaker works
- Where to place safe sports bets. How to pick a reliable bookmaker
- How Bookmaker Works
- NFL betting. Where and how to succeed in NFL sports betting
- Beginner’s guide to NFL betting
- NFL betting: predictions and bets
- What makes NFL betting different
- Top popular horse betting types
- Horse betting: rules and strategies
- Horse betting: types and specifics
- Horse Racing Betting Strategies
- Arbitrage betting: best sports betting strategy
- Arbitrage Betting Strategy - your bets will be successful